Re: nested tables and Netscape

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:33:36 +1030
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

<snip>
At 06:49 PM 26/02/2001 -0500, Barbara Money wrote:
>What is the deal with nested tables? Not to start a browser war, and
>please don't anyone bite my head off, but, I went to a site yesterday (I
>forget where) and one of the pages could not be viewed in my Netscape
>4.76 so I wrote the webmaster. They replied it was the "nested tables
>bug" in Netscape, and their site was designed to be viewed in IE 5, so
>ok, I guess we'll have to fix it for you poor unfortunates who still use
>Netscape.
></snip>

Sheesh! ...I would have been tempted to reply that it has nothing to do
with "nested tables bug" in Netscape but more to do with "designer we could
care less bug". Admittedly Netscrape can drive a designer nutso when it
comes to nested tables but it's worth the effort to get it right if you're
going to use them IMHO.

Of course I don't suppose it might occur to them that they'll lose a bunch
of business but maybe they don't care about that either...ignorance is
bliss until it affects the pocket and with that attitude it may well affect
them sooner rather than later... :)

Kym

>Anyway, I must be missing what nested tables actually are. I thought
>they were tables inside of tables, with all the /tr's and /td's and
>/table's tags neat and closed for each set of tables. I have worked on
>sites with tables inside of tables (albeit in FrontPage) and had no
>trouble viewing them in Netscape which I prefer. Maybe "nested tables"
>are really some other animal altogether. Would someone care to enlighten
>me?
>
>Barbara Money
>The Essential Image

ConceptualEyez Design & Media