Re: Yahoo placement

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:53:29 -0600
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:17 AM 12/21/2000 -0600, Charla & Ed Springer wrote:
>It appears to me that Yahoo is becoming more of a front end for specific and
>proprietary content and less of a search engine.

I have been trying to figure out what Yahoo's front end is for the last 5
years. ;-)

>  I know of many folks who
>have stopped using Yahoo as a search engine. Do others out there see this
>trend as well? It seems that Yahoo has done a good job of making everyone
>think thatthey are the "premier" search engine.

Aha!  There you have it...... "good job of making everyone
think....".  That is really the crux of many low par, low end, low quality
services online.  Perception!  Folks who know me crack up at how I react
when the Yahoo! TV commercials are on - "Do you Yahoo!"..... Yahoo! doesn't
Yahoo!  ;-)

Perception is the only reality online....   That being said, many folks,
not as informed as those on this list, ;-) gravitate to Yahoo! as they do
AOL because of that mass media campaign that it is /the/ gig.  Until the
"joe six packs" catch up with technology enough to differentiate what
search tools are more accurate than others, I feel it is my responsibility
to advise clients to cough up the moolah and get their site reviewed so
they can benefit from the traffic.  Regardless of my opinion of Yahoo,
almost every server's stats I look at reflects Yahoo right after AOL /
Reston, VA as the number one traffic generator.

Yahoo! knows it has a problem, they are losing store merchants and their ad
revenues are suffering as well as being under pressure to get their
directory up to snuff or just use Google entirely. Time will tell how this
hashes out, however, not a day goes by that a client does not stress that
they want to be listed on Yahoo!..........

/j

Got Cheat Sheets?
<http://www.technochallenged.com/cheat_sheets.html>
HTML4,DHTML,XML,PhotoShop,JavaScript,C++, More....