Re: XML - If there was any doubt . . .

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:43:40 -0700
 To:  Ted Temer <temer(at)c-zone.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Better late than never I guess - but when I saw this thread I just had to
intervene.  Having spoken at several conferences (Australia, New Zealand,
USA) regarding the use of XML, I think I'm qualified enough to correct a
few misconceptions:

1) Microsoft does not "own" XML and isn't interested in "owning" it - in
fact, Microsoft contributed to the development of XML as a member of the W3C.

2) The Guild's current President - Dr Frank Boumphrey - represented the
Guild on the original XML working committee, and both Frank and Ann Navarro
(a former HWG Governing Board member) were active participants in the XHTML
working group.  XHTML is the next generation of HTML.  XHTML 1.0 is
equivalent to HTML 4.0 except that it also qualifies as XML.

At 02:21 PM 21/06/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Jay mentions he doesn't see the problem. In his case, he actually has a USE
>for XML.

*pause while Chris bashed head against wall*

>And no doubt, he uses it very well. But let's face it--most
>websites just don't have this use for it.

3.  That's very superficial thinking - the current version of "HTML" _IS_
XML - by writing to the XHTML standard you are automatically producing XML
compliant code.

>That is why I say XML is not going
>to "take over the world".

4.  You are too late - it already has.  XML is here to stay!  WAP devices
are continually improving, and the market is growing.  These devices use
XML technologies now!!  Their use will only increase.

>Sure--some WILL use XML, just as some use Java.
>Those who actually have something to haul around, often go out and buy a
>truck. The rest of us mostly cling to the good old sedan.

Not if you want to stay in business - although the XHTML spec _DOES_ allow
you to take a back-seat role.  Most "web designers" have been able to do
this of late - for intranet developers it's been a much better
story.  Namespaces and XML data islands have opened new opportunities that
HTML 4.01 never could.

>If any scheme comes along--no matter who's scheme it is--its only chance of
>working, universally, depends on general practicality.

5.  Any scheme CAN and WILL come along - at least now ANYONE can look at
the source and work with it, rather than relying on some proprietary EDI
application.  No wonder B2B, B2C, and B2G are advancing in leaps and bounds.

>But in general, that software "lease" business IS already in being. You can
>lease most anything Microsoft sells. You can do this with a substantial
>savings over buying multiple shrink wrapped copies off the shelf.

Exactly - or, for the paranoid, you can design your own.

>It has never been much of a success, primarily because it just isn't very
>practical. There is too much wasted time between the remote server and the
>user's machine. We all know that the idea of a master computer feeding
>workstations has been around from the very beginning. But--other than the
>businesses who can really  benefit from a "network", it was just too darn
>unwieldy.

I think you misunderstand the concept here Ted - we are not talking about
"having to hook up to a single computer", but merely that all computers
that want to converse will agree to abide by the common standard referred
to at [insert URL].  An analogy would be current day browsers that
understand the W3C HTML spec.  Given your scenario, are you saying all
browsers have to be online and connected to the W3C before they can render
a HTML page?

>Remember a few short months ago??? Everyone was going to be using some form
>of Web-TV. Half a dozen companies went south on that one.

Web TV is still alive and well, and working particularly well in hotel
chains - they aren't going to vanish in a hurry.

>Maybe someday XML will be in serious "general" use if the problems that Paul
>mentioned, are ever solved.

6. There was a comment about DTD's in an early post - DTD's are great if
you are looking at literary works.  However, if you want data-typing and
better control over the input Schemas are the new way to go.

The HWG has classes on XML and XHTML if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Chris  Higgs