Re: Creating a bookmark to go to another file

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:31:43 +0000
 To:  "'hwg-basics(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:51 28/02/02 -0600, Julie Nelson wrote:
>Is it possible to create a bookmark to go to a specific area
>in another file?
<snip/>

Yes, if the file you are linking to has been set up correctly. Suppose I
had a long file, and wanted people to be able to link to one particular
point in it. I would use an <.a> with a name attribute:

<.a name="linkhere">wibble</a>

Then a link to http://www.example.com/file.html#linkhere would jump
straight to that point in the file.

I don't know how to do this in Front Page though. Anyone else help?

Andrew

>the only downside I can see if that the reader would have to click
>the browser's "back" button to go back to the article they were reading.

Not really a problem - users in general are good at using the back button.

>Also, would the "back" button bring the reader to the exact place before
>they click the term's link?
<snip/>

Depends on the browser. Any half decent one will.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/