Re: JavaScript in table tags<huh?>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:35:55 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>At 20:22 01/04/02 +0100, Hilma wrote:
><snip/>
>>(I'm from a programming background, where things simply *won;'t work*  if
>>you don;t stick to the rules;
>>I find this freedom very dis-orientating; so the rules suit me fine!)
><snip/>

FWIW,
 The fact is that it is not hard to find either references that blatantly say (or to draw personal opinion based conclusions) that *in fact* if you don't "play by the rules":

Your documents will not render reliably or predictably cross platform/browser.

It doesn't take a lot of looking to find code that works "mostly", "usually", "for most folks". or renders ok for some and leaves others with almost blank pages saying only "Update your browser".

To find code that _simply works_ you pretty much ~have to~ look to ratified code and server side includes (in one form or another).

Over the years on this list I been forced to come to a conclusion that has changed my life - I'll share it publicly now:

"The code you *******SELL******* should be determined by your intended viewer demographics and your professional responsibility to keep the WWW as useable as possible for everyone - not your personal passion or your (HTML) editor's capabilities."

Obviously. this does not address ~any~ form of personal/private/Internet content.

Again, strictly FWIW.
Fuzzy.