Re: Opera Users

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:14:37 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:59 03/04/02 -0700, Regina Fuchs wrote:
>The Javascript/browser discussion has made me curious. Given the fact that
>Opera identifies itself as IE5.0 by default, how many statistical IE users
>are in reality using Opera? Is the number be significant?
<snip/>

You can't actually know.

Anything that relies on server logs can be skewed by, for example, caching.
Anything that relies on client side stuff has all the problems normally
associated with client side stuff. There are various security programmes
that strip out browser version identification as well (and a good thing too
- if I used IE as my primary browser, I wouldn't want nasty.example.com
knowing exactly which ActiveX control to send me for maximum problems).

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/