Re: Accessibility validation

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 15:15:22 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 14:05 25/05/02 +0100, Hilma wrote:
>Now i have my W3C strict validation (and a trivial change to do for CSS
>validation, which i keep forgetting) -
>i have decided to go for accessibility validation :-)
<snip/>

Excellent :-)

Accessibility validation is a slightly different thing though. A page is
either valid XHTML 1.0 Strict or is isn't. They is no subjectiveness
involved. A page might be accessible to the W3 WAI standards (which is what
bobby checks), or it might not be, or it might be valid in some ways but
not in others. More confusingly, a feature may make a [age more accessible
to one group but less accessible to another.

None of this should put you off though. A site developed with WAI
guidelines in mind will be more usable and generally more robust than one
that isn't. Accessibility (and usability) are about considering the
interaction between the human and the webpage, which is ultimately what it
is all about.

There is an HWG forum for this subject -
http://www.hwg.org/lists/aware-techniques/index.html which is where you
will probably get the best answers to your questions.

There are various techniques you could use. Depending on your mood, you
could try using a 1 column table, or possibly something like this:

with this in the CSS:

div.NavButton {
display:block;  width: 130px;  height: 18px;
padding: 2px;
border:3px outset #99cc99;
margin:3px;
background:#71ad78;
font: small Verdana;
color:#71ad78 /* colours all the text the background colour */
}

div.NavButton a {
text-align:center;
text-decoration: none;
color:  /* insert colour */
background-color: /* insert colour */
}

>1/ Is it acceptable to have a pipe the same colour as the background, to
>allow Bobby accessibility validation?

IMO, yes.

>2/ How do i get my pipe next to my nav button (without messing up the
>central alignment of the link text)?

See above.

>3/ What would be the most elegant way to get my accessibility validation -
>as i really don;t *like* this method

See above :-)

Andrew

--