Re: Another W3C strict query

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 26 May 2002 18:35:46 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 15:40 25/05/02 +0100, Hilma wrote:
<snip/>
>I still need a bit of convincing that i can;t keep my book open when my
>visitor checks a refernce.... :-)

Lets extend the book metaphor again.

When I am writing something I will probably check details in one or more of
my books. Sometimes I will use book X to help me find details in book Y.
Now, space on my desk is limited. I may decide to open both book X and book
Y, or I may decide to close book X and open book Y. That is my choice, and
I will vary it depending on what I am doing.

Suppose book X insisted on staying open. I would be less inclined to use it
in the future, because it takes up space on my desk and doesn't behave the
way other books do.

By forcing your users to open links in a new window, you are being somewhat
like book X. It takes up resources on my desktop, and it doesn't behave in
the way I'm used to. It is actually worse than that. If I close the `Book
X' window after it opens the `book Y' window I lose the session history for
the book X window. On the other hand, by not specifying a target for links
from Book X I give my users the choice. They can left click to open in the
same window, or right click (or option click or whatever) to open in a new
window. As well as giving the user a choice the links now behave in exactly
the same way as the vast majority of links on the web. People can navigate
your site using the same techniques they have learned elsewhere, rather
than having to learn new behavior for your site.

_Choice_ and _consistency_ are the two important things.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/