Re: Dreaweaver Ultra Dev 4

by Thomas Rumley <trumley(at)softhome.net>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:21:57 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
As said No, and yes.

Now,  let us ask if it is moral?

There is a big difference between legality and morality.

If you buy a pair of shoes, use them, and then give them away, should the
person you give them to pay the original manufacturer of the shoes. My
away, again no.

If you buy software, use it, and then give it away, should the person you
give it to pay the manufacturer of the software. My view: no.

Further, a lot of people must have the same view. If they didn't why would
there be so many peer to peer sharing networks alive and well. If you are
making a profit from giving software to others, then I agree that the
software's manufacture should get some compensation. If you are not making
a profit from this sharing, the manufacture should get nothing.

Point of fact, one of the main questions in the Napster case was, "is it
okay for an individual to copy a file (in that case music) if it is only
for their own personal use. The answer was generally yes. An individual
could copy a file for their own use. This question was brought up when
cassette recorders took the place of 8-track. It was asked again with the
advent of video cassette recorders and yet again with cd and dvd burners.

The person who did the asking was usually the one who made all of the money
from the so-called "infringed"  files.

As far as "Do the powers of microsoft, macromedia, and others know about
it?" Answer, yes. If they don't, they have their heads stuck in the sand. I
guess you could call peer to peer file sharing a secret that everyone
knows. Do they like it? NO. But what can they do about. Go from house to
house and look at everyone's computer to see what's on it.

illegal, yes - immoral, no

Thomas