RE: Morality and Pirated Software

by Thomas Rumley <trumley(at)softhome.net>

 Date:  Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:04:57 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, no

I'm using different aspects of the same argument.

My point is that if you buy something you should be able to do whatever you
want with it. You should not be forced by others to act in certain ways to
protect their self-interest.

Both copyright and anti-competitive laws play into this. So I used both of
them. They are not contrary to each other.

Which brings up a stray thought. If copyright is there to protect those who
come up with artistic creations, can a company hold a copyright on
anything. They are neither individuals or creative. And I know before you
say it, a corporation is legally an entity. But if an individual created
something, shouldn't they get the credit (rewards) and not the individual?

Thomas