Re: css font question - css purpose

by Thomas Rumley <trumley(at)softhome.net>

 Date:  Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:27:38 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hate to argue (not really :P) but...

Css was meant to control the display of the web page. The idea, a faulty
one in my opinion, being that the two  aspects of the web page should be
kept completely separate.

That's why the current trend of not using the Body tag's attributes of
background, bgcolor, text, link, vlink, and alink are in favor. So that all
aspects for the layout of a page could be kept totally separate from the
content and could be addressed without any consideration for the latter.

Why else would the current html standard be in a constant state of flux.
Web designers have always wanted to present their ideas with their sense of
esthetics. It's what css is all about. The px measurement for a font
(thought I forgot what I was talking about didn't you :P) *should* be hard
to override. If you, the user that is, do not want to pay attention to the
artistic effort of the designer, turn your css off. You'll be left with
only the content for your page and it will display exactly as your
browser's settings dictate.

My 2 and half cents!

Thomas
     mailto:trumley(at)softhome.net