Re: .biz domains - 2 questions

by Thomas Rumley <trumley(at)softhome.net>

 Date:  Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:37:17 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
There's nothing unethical about it at all. Simple example:

http://www.webguild.com
http://www.webguild.org
http://www.webguild.net

But there's nothing at

http://www.webguild.info

If I go and register the .info domain, it's not in the least bit sneaky or
stepping on the other domains' rights.

Now to .biz domains.

Nothing wrong with them. It's just not as well known as the other top
levels. .info and .us are the same thing. They're not as well known so
people may not be as comfortable with them. They might thinks its a
misprint on your business card for example. Perfectly acceptable domains
but not well known outside of their circles. You can still look them up on
the web. You can still list them with the search engines. I don't know if
there's a technical reason that some registers don't offer them. May just
be a licensing issue.

It's like owning an electric car. You may not see many of them, but they
still get you from one place to the next.

http://www.information.info
http://www.buy.biz/

  :)

At 08:05 PM 8/5/2002, you wrote:

>g'day
>
>It seems that there are very few name registrars offering .biz
>domains ( see http://www.icann.org/tlds/) and the one I normally
>use (NameRegistrars) is not amongst them.
>
>Anyone have any ideas why this scarcity of registrars for .biz ?
>

>2nd question.
>
>I want a specific domain name but the .com version is held by an
>individual who is offering it for resale - the site is empty. I am
>somewhat philosophically opposed to buying a domain name from
>someone who registered it just for resale , hence I decided on the
>.biz variant (.net is also available and might be OK).
>
>The question - does anyone see any ethical or practical issues in
>this course of action? It is not like I am trying to steal business
>from the owner of the .com domain, since it is being held solely for
>resale.
>
>thanks

Thomas
     mailto:trumley(at)softhome.net