Re: CSS

by Tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 17 May 2001 14:07:14 -0500
 To:  "HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:01 PM 5/17/2001 -0400, Paul Wilson wrote:
>I have learned to include point size specifications in every .CSS file for
>every tag I plan to use.  But even then they are never _exactly_ rendered
>identically.

That's because you're using points which are a print measurement. Try
pixels which better matches monitor displays:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/_fonts/fonts_gallery_arial_px.html --
for a side-by-side point size rendering of Arial.

As far as what works and what doesn't in CSS and browsers:

http://www.w3schools.com/

One final thing that I learned the hard way -- if in doubt about a style
sheet, run it through the CSS Validator at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

It will not only check your CSS, but it will output a valid style sheet. Do
use it with caution -- the validator will drop anything that's not quite
right. So, if you examine the error report and the valid result, it usually
offers some decent clues as to what is or is not acceptable.

The h3 style is about the only one that I see that should work. The others
may be getting confused. Try rewriting as:

a.tdContent:link {color: #CC6600;} and then call it as a class="tdContent"
href="somepage.html"

You'll note this combines your two classes into one class. The space
between td.content and a:link may be throwing off the browser's attempt to
render your styles.

HTH,
<tamara />