Re: more CSS stuff.

by Tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 May 2001 16:42:35 -0500
 To:  jenniferwynell <jennw(at)jenniferwynell.com>,
HWG-Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:32 PM 5/23/2001 -0700, jenniferwynell wrote:
>[...]But, I also though it supported font sizes fairly uniformly.  Like if
>you made it 16 px, it would display at 16px on both browsers albeit
>sligtly differently.  This time, it doesn't matter what I change the
>font size to, it stays the same in NN 4.7 and changes accordingly in IE
>5.0.  Why does it not change in NN I ask WHY?

Jennifer,

NN's not misbehaving this time -- it's doing exactly what you told it to
do. You're running into the classic inheritance clash. IE inherits and NN
doesn't.

I ran your CSS through the validator at the W3C
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html and while everything
looks fine and validates, I did notice you have two different td classes
that you're trying to mix-n-match and that's why NNs puking.

td.nav {
                         color : #ffffff;
                         font-size : 10pt;
                         font-weight : bold;
                         font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
                    }
  td.nav a:link , td.nav a:active , td.nav a:visited , td.nav a:hover {
                         font-size : 18px;
                         font-weight : bold;
                         font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
                    }

NN is probably flat out refusing the td.nav a:link, line even if it /is/ valid.

I think I mentioned before that the nav links might work better if you took
out the spaces so they're something like a.nav:link?

So, in this case, NN is doing exactly what you tell it -- all td class navs
are 10 pt. Also you haven't told NN /not/ to do it since you don't have the
class in your anchor tags.

If you change the nav links to a.nav:link and then call them as a
class="nav" href="#" then Netscape should smile on you.

FWIW,
<tamara />