Re: SSI question

by Tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:17:17 -0500
 To:  "Ed Peddycoart" <epeddycoart(at)cg2.com>,
"HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:53 PM 6/15/2001 -0700, Ed Peddycoart wrote:
>Is it possible to have just one page, say index.shtml, which includes a file
>which acts as the navbar (say navbar.html), and then, based on the links
>selected from the menu in navbar, #include another file for content?  E.g. I
>would have a file name index.shtml. This file has  <!--#include
>file="navbar.html" -->  where the contents of navbar.html are...
>
><.a href="pagea.html">Page A</a>
><.a href="pageb.html">Page B</a>
><.a href="pagec.html">Page C</a>
>
>Then, for content, I would <!--#include file="pagea_content.html" --> if
>"Page A" is selected, <!--#include file="pageb_content.html" --> if "Page B"
>is selected and so on.  If I understand SSI correctly this is not really
>possible...the inclusion takes place on the server side before the client
>ever sees the page.

Ed,

I think you're narrowing your options here to either A) Frames; or, B)
Programming.

But, even with a programming like php, you would be calling a new page.

AFAIK, if you're going with SSI, your pagea.html link WILL require a
pagea.html -- the good news though is that pagea.html can have the same nav
include on it so each page will have the same navigation scheme.

I think you're looking at it almost backwards -- the SSI menu can be added
to pagea.html, pageb.html, etc. But, once pagea.html is loaded in the
browser, you can't change it on the fly with this type of SSI.

Does that make sense? If not, then, I'm sorry, but that's the way I
understand SSI and I'm sorry if it's a little garbled.

<tamara />