Re: Wing Dings Part 2

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:29:03 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  jtpolk(at)texas.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
I wonder whether this is related to another IE5.5 problem I have observed,
which has been reported in several newsgroups.

The problem is that, if IE is forced to pick a generic font (like
'sans-serif'), it picks a truly ugly font instead of what would seem
reasonable (e.g., Arial).  I first observed this problem with IE5.5.

When I go to http://abilenetx.com/Human_Resources/catold.html I do not see
Wingdings in the top navigational links: however, I do see an extremely
ugly sans-serif font.

Perhaps IE5.5 screws up its selection of what font to use as a generic
font, and picks different (sometimes inappropriate) fonts for different people?

At 01:57 PM 09/04/01, you wrote:
>Ok, let me state for the record that Wing Dings absolutely ARE NOT what
>is specified, and ARE NOT what is wanted as the font for the links at
>the top of the page.
>
>If people could look at the links below, and if on the first one, they
>get Wing Dings, could ya'll post to this list or to me directly what
>version of MISE are you using. Further, if you do see WingDings, does
>the last link, that refers to non-existant fonts before it get's to
>serif, also show the WingDing font.
>
>Seemingly, some versions of MSIE will render WindDings as the font in
>the top navigational links in the following:

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)upsdell.com
Website:   http://www.upsdell.com/