Re: About the blinking text question

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:20:26 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  jtpolk(at)texas.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 17:41 2001-09-10 -0500, jtpolk(at)texas.net wrote:
> > Why is it apparently universally hated?  Is there something technically
> > wrong with it?  Does it cause basic adverse reactions in people akin to
> > sudden illness?  Is it morally objectionable?  Will it make you
> > impotent?  Does it cause web users to salivate uncontrollably at the mere
> > mention of Britney Spears?
>
>You would have had to been there to see how it was used.
>
>Imagine a page with a yellow background with text in a table in a blue
>border 20 pixels wide. Imagine that the letters are in the page are all
>rendered with h4 or h3 and are colored red.  Then make every other
>paragarph blink, blink, blink, blink.
>
>Don't be shy in your imagining, be joyous about it.
>
>Back in about 94 and 95, it rapidly went from ''kewl'' to really getting
>on peoples nerves, and not just ''pinwheel tech writers''.

Jim, you got me thinking on this one.

I started back with Mosaic and Netscape 0.9 Beta, apparently just like
you.  Perhaps it was then when the web was in its infancy that the dislike
for <.BLINK> began, and probably because of the scenario you just laid out.
However, the only thing that has changed are all these spam marketing HTML
emails now have h3, h4, h5 text proclaiming the next best thing.  And, more
often than not, that <.BLINK> shows up in those emails!!

Dennis