Re: Recent Flood of Attacks on Servers

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:24:10 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "C. A. Milton" <camilton(at)hauntedhalloweencastle.com>, "Rudy Gomez" <rudy(at)cyberangler.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

><.climb soap box>
>Something needs to be done about all these M$II$ boxes that are still
>infected with Code Red, and now with Nimda.  Some of these servers either
>don't have sys admins, or have sys admins that don't give a s__t as they
>have been continually scanning other boxes for weeks now.  Sys admins need
>to either patch the boxes, or someone else needs to take these boxes
>offline.
><.descend from soap box>

Many of these machines are technically not servers but workstations.  The
users are not sys admins so they do not even know their machines are part
of the problem.  If I recall correctly, Steve Gibson was complaining about
his attacks several months ago were coming from individual user machines
and not necessarily servers.  I also recall his rhetoric that the WinXP
default installation settings would open up an entirely new can of worms
(pun intended).  It looks like this new worm is showing just how vulnerable
M$ software is becoming.

If you are running Outlook, Outlook Express,  IE(!!), and/or any of the
know services on your M$ workstations and servers, and you are not
completely familiar with them, you are part of the problem.  (Gee, if we
use those dubious browser war stats, I guess that means in excess of 90
percent of the computers out there!)

There is certainly something to be said about *healthy* competition and
corporate responsibility here.  It's just too bad there isn't enough.

Dennis

"If you truly want to be free, boycott Windows XP."