Re: domain registry

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:45:45 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Keith(at)webgraffix.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
According to ICANN ...

What are the rules for registration of .net and .org names?

They are the same as for .com. Traditionally, however, names in .net have
been used by organizations involved in Internet infrastructure activities
and .org is frequently used by not-for-profit organizations.

Source: http://www.icann.org/general/faq1.htm

There have been discussions (I have no source) that new .net and .org sites
should be allocated to strictly Internet infrastructure activities (.net)
and not-for-profit organizations (.org), respectively, in keeping with the
above traditions.  However, I am unaware of resolving issues about current
.net and .org sites which do not belong to the traditional definitions, and
if they should be grandfathered or forced to give up their TLD names
sometime down the road.

Finally, at least for USA users, take a look at
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/domainalrt.htm regarding domain
name registration scams.