Re: Netscape cuts the web page in middle of tags

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:57:48 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Michael Dewitte <mike_dewitte(at)yahoo.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Could be this:  Netscape versions 2-4 have a bug whereby, if code is
generated on the fly (e.g., using document.write), and if the page is long
enough, Netscape may inject an end-of-line character at some point further
down on the page.  The point at which this character is injected can depend
on the version of Netscape:  e.g., NN4.79 may inject it at a different
point than 4.08.  This can break the page.

I have never found a work-around, except not to use document.write etc.
when the browser is Netscape 2-4.  Netscape 6 is just fine.

- HTH, Chuck Upsdell

At 01:08 PM 11/20/01, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have both dynamic and static web pages on an iplanet
>server.
>
>All is fine when I browse the pages with Internet
>Explorer, but Netscape Navigator 4.x cuts the pages,
>inserting some blank lines in the middle of a tag,
>which is different for each page, but approximatively
>at the same point....
>
>When I copy the page on my PC and open it locally, no
>problem, though.
>
>Can anyone help ?
>
>Mike

-