Re: Active Server Page Surprise

by Christopher Higgs <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:00:15 +1100
 To:  Lauren Hanka <bluejay(at)starband.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org, Larry Coats <lcoats(at)gte.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Lauren,

At 08:48 AM 11/22/2001 -0800, Larry Coats wrote:
>No, you can't. The asp pages are generated by a script. Asp is a
>server-side scripting system. To modify the HTML generated by the scripts,
>you'll have to get access to the scripts and modify those.

Just to clarify here, Larry means you can't change the pages if you
download them via your browser.

If you have (FTP) access to the original source files, then you may be able
to update the keywords and titles in these source files provided you don't
change anything within <%  ... %> tags.

If the sections you wish to change have been dynamically written by ASP
code then you will be out of luck, but many ASP pages contain a mixture of
coding and HTML blocks.  You can easily change the HTML within the HTML blocks.

Chris Higgs
Manager, New Learning Technology
ILFR, University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/
Phone: +61 3 8344 9749  Fax: + 61 3 9348 2156