Re: SSI

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:21:56 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  Keith(at)webgraffix.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
While I have yet to find any documentation stating you cannot pull an SSI
from a different server, common sense tells me it's not possible
anyway.  According to Apache documentation, "SSI (Server Side Includes) are
directives that are placed in HTML pages, and evaluated on the server while
the pages are being served."

Since a server must be configured to utilize SSIs, it seems to me you are
attempting some type of foreign body implant and the server is not
configured for external SSIs.  You might want to write to the Apache folks
but I'm betting they will tell you it ain't possible.

I would think this to be a security feature, as well as a technical
point.  Otherwise, it would be possible to create an SSI of an off-site web
page, remove its headers and footers and just insert the content into your
site and claim it as your own.