RE: How to include HTML code from an external file

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:18:20 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  <kpollara(at)home.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You are correct.

SSIs, by definition, works on *nix servers.  However, there are equivalent
approaches by using Active Server Pages (ASP), Cold Fusion, PHP to achieve
the same results.  There may be others, but these stand out in my brain as
a matter of course.

<.rant=on>
The limiting factors include:

1)  Your current server and its current capabilities
2)  Your personal skill base, and your ability to expand that skill base to
meet changing (external) needs
3)  Potential constraints in place by your employer and/or client

I'm sure there may be other factors based upon your circle of life, but
these, too, come to mind at the top of the heap.

There used to be another limiting factors, based upon limited
resources.  By that I mean you are stuck with the cards already dealt.  For
example, your employer runs a Microsoft shop, and only Microsoft.  That
used to mean you were restricted to Uncle Billy's toybox.  Not anymore
since all of the above (I believe) are ported to M$ servers.  The same goes
for ASP which is now ported to non-M$ servers.

Another one of these was money.  Nowadays, there are considerable open
source (and stable)  alternatives, with considerable support networks.  On
top of that, many of the "fringe" areas are effectively mainstream.  (The
classic example is Linux.  The "techy" community embraced it long ago, but
now that IBM, Oracle, and other heavyweights have ported applications to
Linux, one can build a fully supported web system with effectively free web
tools.)

What really stands in the way are "excuses," most often stated by those
lacking the knowledge, fortitude (read that as guts) and common sense to
embrace the technology and run with it.  Money is no longer a reason.  It's
an excuse.   Limited web hosting is no longer a reason.  It's an
excuse.  Limited support is no longer a reason.  It's an excuse.  It really
makes no difference these days.  If you are constrained (by "real"
circumstances beyond your control) there is wide latitude where can
maneuver, if you bother to look.  Stuck with M$ servers?  The run ASP
because it's native to M$.  The monetary cost is zip.  Stuck with a *nix
server?  You already have SSIs, but you can install PHP for free, even
pseudo-ASP at minimal (free?) cost.

Look at the issues purely from a technical point of view.  You have many
options, regardless of the platform.   Now look at the non-technical
issues.  Are these justifiable reasons not to go down a particular
path?  Or are they really excuses?  And if they are excuses, who is pushing
them?  I bet they are not technically-driven but personality-driven.  Of
course, the hardware/software doesn't give a rat's behind who administers
it, but we all have to deal with people, many of them superiors and/or
ego-types who have "all" the answers, but just don't have the correct
questions.  :)

Yet, at the end of the day, money may be the ultimate limiting factor.  By
that I mean licensing and support costs.  With one major software
manufacturer changing their licensing requirements (meaning you will pay
*big* money as time goes on), this may be the straw breaking the camel's
back for many.  Others will realize their support costs, most often from
constant patches, re-patches, etc., no longer worth the effort, especially
when there are similar, if not better alternatives, with much fewer
headaches.  But I digress.  :)
<./rant=off>

Look at your server and its software.  You can do SSIs, or its equivalent,
with relative ease.

Kukla