Re: domain name renewal

by Regina Fuchs <rfuchs(at)lanl.gov>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:30:51 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Shelby,

I was warned by Go Daddy. The message is snipped below.

>I got what looked like a bill the other day from Verisign which confused me
>because my hosting company originally got me my name for free and it's only
>been 7 months.  I thought perhaps that they were doing something screwy but
>then a friend forwarded this email to me about Verisign.  Anyone else know
>anything more?
>SC

<snip>
Please be aware that Verisign, Inc. (formerly Network Solutions) is sending
via
the US Mail, what we believe to be deceptive and predatory domain expiration
notices.
The purpose behind these notices is to get the unsuspecting customer to
transfer
to and renew their domain name(s) with Verisign Inc. at significantly higher
prices.
The domain expiration notices are designed so that it is not obvious that the
notices are from Verisign, Inc. as opposed to Go Daddy Software. To see a copy
of one of these deceptive expiration notices, please go to the following URL:
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/private_vsrn.asp?display=letter.
</snip>
Plug for GoDaddy removed.
<snip>
Renewal notices from Go Daddy Software are sent via email, and always mention
the Go Daddy name. You can be sure that any communications you receive
concerning your domain name that do not explicitly and obviously display
the Go
Daddy name are not from Go Daddy Software.
If you believe, as we do, that this practice of Verisign Inc. is misleading,
predatory and improper, we invite you to make your feelings known by
writing to
ICANN (who is the governing body for all Registrar's and Registries) and to
Verisign Registry. Email links for both are provided below.
Sincerely,
Bob Parsons, President
Go Daddy Software, Inc.
ICANN Registrar Complaint Form (hosted at InterNIC)
http://www.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi
VeriSign Registry Customer Service
info(at)verisign-grs.com
Phone: 703-948-3200