Re: Site Captures

by Jim Haslam <jim(at)haslam.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 May 2002 09:45:52 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>At 07:41 PM 5/27/02 -0400, Christopher wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I was wondering what is a good tool to use to capture a site opening
> >page and make a thumbnail of to use as a resume?  I have printkey and
> >such, but that doesn't help when the site's opening page needs to be
> >scrolled and doesn't fully fit on a single screen.  Hope I explained
> >this well enough.
> >
> >Thanks for any ideas or direction.

I just use PrintScrn to capture the page.

<opinion>
However, I was taught in web design school that an opening page should
never scroll. The opening page gives you 100% view penetration of visitors
to your site. If the visitor then has to scroll down another screen, the
penetration drops to less than 30% for the information displayed. This
demonstrates that people scan the Internet for information and are not that
willing to scroll through your screen while looking for their information.
If it is not on the opening page they will move on to the next web site. If
what they are looking for is found on the main page and it links to an
additional page, they will be willing to scroll down the second page to get
their info.

Just my thoughts about scrolling main pages. </opinion> ;-)

Jim Haslam
jim(at)haslam.com