Re: Resolutions 800 x 600 vs. 1024 x 768

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:43:20 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is about the worst advice I could imagine!!!

1.  It does nothing if JavaScript is disabled (about 10% of users).

2.  It checks the screen width, i.e. the width of the display.  What about
the many people who don't maximize their browsers ... e.g. I have 1024x768,
but normally have a browser window about 800 pixels wide, and I often
resize this to something else, e.g. so that I can see pertinent parts of
several windows.

3.  It changes the size of the browser window:  DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH THE
SIZE OF MY BROWSER WINDOW; THE USER SHOULD CONTROL THE SIZE, NOT YOU!

4.  It changes the position of the browser window:  DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH
THE POSITION OF MY BROWSER WINDOW; THE USER SHOULD CONTROL THE POSITION,
NOT YOU!

5.  It is completely unnecessary.  You can make fluid pages that look good
at all resolutions by avoiding absolute sizes and focusing on percentages
instead: and fluid design makes it EASIER to make pages.

At 08:40 AM 01/13/04, you wrote:
>Use javascript and write the link statement to use different cascading
>sheets depending upon the resolution. In each css page define the position
>of each element.
>
><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">
><!--     Script finds screen resolution then writes link to style sheet.  -->
>         if (screen.width > 1000)
>        {
>                 document.write("<link rel='stylesheet'
> href='../css_files/1024_style.css' type='text/css'>");
>                 window.resizeTo(1000,730);
>                 window.moveTo(15,10);
>        }
>
>     if (screen.width < 1000)
>            {
>                     document.write("<link rel='stylesheet'
> href='../css_files/800_style.css' type='text/css'>");
>                     window.resizeTo(775,575);
>                     window.moveTo(15,10);
>                         }
>// -->
></script>
>
>At 08:08 AM 1/12/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>>thanks, But i did not develop for any perticular resolution it was just
>>that that is the one I use and then when I looked at it in 800 x 600 the
>>concept was no longer what I planed.
>>
>>I think that I will move the navigation Images Photos, home,
>>events,members to the side this way it is still seen regardless of the
>>resolution.

-
Chuck Upsdell, www.upsdell.com
Note: to ensure I receive your eMail, please avoid words commonly found in
spam; messages with such words may be blocked before they get to me.