Re: still looks left on my computer.

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:39:15 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Diane Bourke" <DIANEBOURKE(at)peoplepc.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I guess I am even more confused. On firefox, that paragraph was way over to
>the
>left on my computer.  It is ok on ie.  This page does it too even worse, but
>I haven't had time to work on it yet, either.
>http://www.tein.net/~diane/joni/western.html
>http://www.tein.net/~diane/joni/classiccar.html
>It looks on good on ie which makes one ask, how many people have firefox
>anyway?

Why would you expect the content to be centred?  You have not done anything
to ensure that it will be.

Perhaps you think that this might do it?

I assume that you are trying to put everything in a block which takes up
80% of the width of the page.  This might work in IE, but only because IE
gets it wrong.  Check the specs to see how to centre a div when using a
standards-compliant browser (hint:  'margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;').

Also, don't expect an image within a centred paragraph to be centered
within the paragraph if there is any content to the left or right of the
image.  You'd have to make sure the image is on a separate line or in a
separate centred paragraph.  What I think you expect to happen does not
even happen in IE if you have a very wide browser window.

While you're at it, use a proper DOCTYPE to make sure IE works in standards
mode.  See http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_doctype.htm .

There's a couple of other problems too, but I'm sure you can work them out.

-
Chuck Upsdell, www.upsdell.com
Note: to ensure I receive your eMail, please send in plain text, and avoid
words commonly found in spam; otherwise your eMail may be blocked before it
gets to me.