Re: Prefomated Text

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Jul 2002 10:39:48 +0100
 To:  HWG-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 20:49 06/07/02 -0500, Matthew Ohlman wrote:
>Hi list. I myself am having a validation problem. If I understand the
>validator correctly, I can't use a font tag in a <.pre> tag.

That is correct.

http://aamcf.co.uk/html/ has reference material on all XHTML 1.0 elements,
showing which elements can contain what. It's produced automatically from
the DTDs and I find it is a useful reference.

>So is there any way to control the text size and color within a pre tag?
>Or, is it better just to use the &nbsp; deal.

Well, you shouldn't be using the font element any more. Use CSS. Rules like

pre {
         font-family: arial, san-serif;
         font-size: 200%
}