Re: CSS

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:24:04 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:44 15/09/02 -0400, Caryl Milton wrote:
>I have four "hobby" web pages written in old-style HTML.  Because of some of
>the JavaScript, they don't validate.  If I remove the JavaScript they do,
>but the JS is in links to other sites that I don't want to remove.

Could you give us a URL for the pages? It is possible to make pages with
JavaScript validate.

>Now I'm contemplating moving to Style Sheets, but am wondering if the "need"
>to do so is worth the trouble.

Yes it is worth the trouble. Apart from the fact that you end up with
leaner, easier to maintain HTML, by using stylesheets you mentally separate
content and presentation. This means you can more easily consider unusual
browsing environments when developing pages, which is a good thing.

>  My few pages are each quite different
>(fonts, backgrounds, etc.).  Can anyone shed light on just "when" it is
>important to move to CSS?

As soon as you want to change _any_ aspects of the presentation from the
browser default it is time to move to CSS. Making presentational changes in
HTML is bad, as well as time consuming. Doing it in CSS is good, and easy.

>  I have to admit that when I did some research on
>it my eyes began to cross and it didn't sink in.

:)

What sort of problems did you have?

Andrew

--