Re: usefulness of search erngines, was: need a nav column...

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:09:47 EST
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hallo Barbara:

You wrote:

>If search engines usefulness is fading fast, what is one to do?

Search engines are not fading - their usefulness and affordability to
*certain* segments of the web world are coming into question....  :-)

>I'm wondering what will be the future of search placement, or if a whole
>new system will come about. Anyone care to expound on this thread? I
>suspect I know of a couple that might... :-)

Search engines will still be needed - even though libraries don't have a card
system - god I miss those little wooden drawers - they still have a
computerized "lookup" file.  the advantage is now we can see if/where the
books are available on the entire county system....

Same for the web - we are still going to need a way to wade through the
millions of pages out there.  The search engines might get more topic
specific - rather than going through a single search engine to define a
search, you might have a specific search engine devoted to a particular
geographic or subject area.

This might test our resourcefulness - especially our growing little citizens
like mine whose library-type skills are at a bare minimum if they exist at
all.

Just a couple of quick thoughts before I hit the road....

- Jeff K.