Re: WAP <.Fuzzy is confused>

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:42:57 EDT
 To:  ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello friends and captain:

>*Please* correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Internet (and web) have,
>since day one, been about content - not graphics -.

You're not confused - just too intent on displaying your sarcasm......

>Also (and again please correct me if I'm wrong here), *properly written*
>HTML doesn't give a hoot about screen size. It matters not a bit, until
>you
>So . . . I'm not really seeing the problem here. Would someone please
>"enlighten" me?

And I'm not entirely sure why it might be directed towards a comment that I
made in a previous email.

Although I'm relatively new to this, I'm well aware of the power of content
when it comes to information on the web or anyhere else.  Having spent the
last 20+ years in the printing and ublishing industry, I fully understand the
power of the written word. And I'm also very aware that the web was built
upon the premise of exchange of information that early on had very little to
do with the cheapest airfares to Spain or naming your own price for groceries
in the neighborhood supermarket.

In my humble opinion - I spelled that out for you Captain just to emphasize
the point - the web has now developed as primarily a marketing tool - selling
goods and services.  Sites are not being developed by the academics of the
world but by marketing departments intent on sellling the greatest number of
goods in the shortest possible time to the largest number of people.  And
making lots of money at it.

The growth of the software has been in the display end - attracting attention
with all the whizbangs and gizmos that can fit onto a page.  Now, we also
talk of "repurposing" - taking print content and just reformulating it for
the web.  Only now, it is generally dawning on designers that their
presentations are interfering with the selling message.  Which gives rise to
such authors as Jakob Nielsen (wrote Designing Web Usability which I happen
to be hungrily reading right now) and other web usability analysts.

If there was no problem, these books, these authors, these coders/designers -
such as yourself - wouldn't be screaming for attention.  And gradually, these
issues will be resolved.

So maybe it was a bit of a truism - rather than a cause for your arrogance -
for me to say that we need to depend on content.

My only other comment - I've followed your voice since joining this list.
You've obviously been travelling this road for a long time and have a lot to
teach - and there are those of us - such as myself, who are willing to
listen, be guided, and learn.

Come down off the mountain a bit - your message will be more easily
understood.

- a humble student,
     Jeff Kopito