Re: OT? Opera: Opinions

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:00:45 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>With NN4.x becoming more annoying to deal with everyday and many looking for
>an alternative to IE5 (A lot of times, just because its MS), why do they
charge?

Opera Software is a small company without the financial clout of the
big two. I've used it since the beginning and still run it under
Virtual PC, and like it a lot, especially as it now has full support
for javascript. There may be a cultural thing too, the 'free
giveaway' expectation is not so highly developed in some parts of
Europe as it is in the USA and some other places - Opera are a
Norwegian company. For myself, I definitely believe you get what you
pay for. Just my view - waiting eagerly for the Mac version.

BTW the technical director of Opera is Haakon Lie who is a co-writer
of the CSS specs.

Regards.

Freda
--
Never give up on what you know in your heart to be right. The world
needs you and your commitment, desperately. - John Denver.