RE: Text line length - Was: [Seen this lately?]

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:47:46 +0000
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK, you can fire at me too - I agree with Jeniffer about the kind of
sites Comic Sans is generally used on. It's also used, for a couple
of paragraphs, on the page that started this original thread.

Typography is 'the most conservative profession' (Robert Bringhurst);
a professional looking document (or web page) is like a business
executive, it's assumed to wear a certain style, and, to me at least,
Comic Sans is tee shirt and jeans, not a suit.

With my typographer hat on I have no qualms about advising my print
clients on the best faces for their work, I'd be remiss if I didn't;
it amazes me how many people say 'Helvetica' or 'Times', and I say
'yuk' silently! They're glad to be advised and given choices they
didn't know about.

<snip>
>I adore the line-height property, and the very small designer inside
>me just sighs with contentment at looking at a really pretty
>paragraph done up in a nice tight sans-serif font with about 2 em
>line height. Someday I'll be able to use it. ;)
</snip>

Gill Sans, Scala Sans or Syntax?  Dax or Meta? One day ...:)

Cheers.
Freda

--
The letters dance in their seats. Sometimes they get up and dance in
the aisles and margins. -Robert Bringhurst.