Re: Hand-coding all the way, or...?

by Lori Eldridge <lorield(at)uswest.net>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:53:15 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Maya,

I'm certainly no expert but I can give you a novice opinion. I've
been studying HTML for the last 4 years--have never been able to
afford a WYSIWYG--not even shareware, so I have been doing all my
code by hand.

About a year ago I had a temporary job where I had to learn Front
Page--talk about a headache!! From that experience I quit doing
temporary work and got my own business license and set up my own web
design business at home where I can do coding (by hand) on my own
time and at my own speed and pick and choose my clients.

You are right that at times it takes a long time to code things by
hand but I think that not having to figure out the complexities of a
WYSIWYG editor  when things get messed up makes up for it. Because I
have coded everything myself and I know what codes were changed I
usually only have to run my code through a validator to find the
problem and I can fix it quickly. Whereas with FP or other editors
you practically need to be a programmer  (or like to chat on
hwg-basics) to figure out the problem.

I made the mistake of adding data to some of my pages that should
have been in the footer.txt (ssi) recently and really paid for it
because I had to go in and change about 50 pages. Live and learn! You
only make those kinds of mistakes once.

I haven't tried databasing but I can see that I'm going to be sorry I
didn't very soon, so that is my next learning project.

I hope this helps.

Lori