Re: Tables

by Lori Eldridge <lorield(at)uswest.net>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:03:37 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Andrew and all.

I have been experimenting with columns in Tables. I realized that if
I want it to break up into several columns I have to provide those
columns somewhere. Here is a sample of what I'm talking about:

http://www.terrytrueman.com/ttlit/

In the above example I have two tables one above the other (not
nested) so the page will load quicker. Each table contains menu items
on the left and 3 columns on the right and 5 rows deep. (I couldn't
get the text and pictures to line up correctly without an extra
column.) Then at the bottom row of each table (on the right side of
the menu) I put a row of

<.td> &nbsp; <./td> <.td> &nbsp; <./td> <.td> &nbsp; <./td>

i.e., the three columns. This takes up extra space at the bottom of
the table but I couldn't figure out another way to do this. If
someone has a better idea, please let me know.

If you look at the table it has the menu column on the left and 3 on
the right with the lst column after the menu (1st row) spanning two
columns and just the oppose for 2nd row. Then 3rd row spans all
columns, and same for the 4th with the 5th row containing the empty
colums as designated above.

Feel free to utilize my code if you want. Fuzzy may be right about
browsers not spaning anything more than 3 columns but you might
experiment with doing the same thing I did above for 17 columns, but
remember you may have to tell some of your data to span x number of
columns.

BTW, I also had to insert rowspan=5 also to get the menu to go down
the left side of the 5 rows.

Lori