Re: hwg-basics-digest V1 #855

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:12:41 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>In a similar vein, Microsoft Word certainly did NOT put many typesetters out
>of work. It is just that now--the typesetters are using Word themselves to
>greatly enhance their productivity.

I'm surprised that a writer who presumably works with typesetters
should make such an ignorant comment. If someone thinks a book, or
anything else, can be professionally set in Word, then they are
unaware of the skills required, the whole process of typesetting and
all the other requirements that go into the typographic design,
pre-press and on-press processes. Or have I misunderstood what you
said, Ted, in which case I sincerely apologise?

I'm a trained typographer AND typesetter with 25+ years of experience
in all processes, plus I've also worked extensively with MS Word
producing 500+ page documents (engineering specs, tender docs,
accident reports) in the UK railway industry, for the infrastructure
owner, Railtrack, so I know (regrettably) what Word does well - very
little.

Regards.
Freda
--
Spaceship Earth: The problem for the passengers is that there is no
manual to identify all the parts, and no instructions on how to