Re: C S S - B A S I C Q U E S T I O N

by Michael <mikemckee(at)cablespeed.com>

 Date:  Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:10:47 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Good question Ray, and with all the comments about Netscape 4.x not
working right very understandable. I guess the answer depends on why
you want to learn html for. If it is just a casual hobby or you only
want to make a home page or two for yourself and family/friends, it
probably is more trouble than it's worth. In a year or two somebody
will be making a wysiwyg editor that generates css.

If you want to do this professionally then you don't have a lot of
choice. The W3C standards are depreciating html styling and
recommending style sheets. With the big push that Microsoft is
making toward using XML in all their applications they will certainly
support xhtml and the style sheets that go with it. And to be honest,
they have most of the browser market anyway, at least 4/5's of it.
And Netscape's newest browser does a good job of displaying style
sheets anyway. As that gets out through AOL and gets its bugs worked
out, style sheets will be easier to work with.

Besides, EE and NN never did display pages exactly alike anyway. Half
the html and javascript books out there spend a lot of pages telling
us what we can do where and how to work around the browser
differences. What's any different with css?

One book I've found that does a good job of laying out what works
where and how to compensate is "Cascading Style Sheets: The
Definitive Guide" by Eric A. Meyer. Somebody else has been praising
this book here recently. I want to second that. It's remarkably easy
to read for an O'Reilly book.

best,
Michael