Re: submitting your web site to search engines.

by Lori <lorrie652(at)icehouse.net>

 Date:  Mon, 27 May 2002 08:27:06 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Anita,

I haven't seen anyone answer this yet so I'll give it a try.

>Can anyone recommend a good fairly cheap web site where I can submit my =
>site to all the search engines?  I realize there are a lot out there, =
>but I wanted to know if anyone knows of some reputable ones.

I have researched just about every search engine there is and can tell you that the above is not possible. There are too many search engines/directories that prevent the above. Some require only a URL, some reguire you to find the proper page in a directory, some want you to write your own description in a certain amount of words and the next one will have another limit on words. Some will want keywords and some not at all. It all depends on the engine. And some also require you to write down a code before you can register the site--which these automatic programs cannot read, i.e. AltaVista for one. Some also require you to become a member before they will register your site --Zeal --which feeds Looksmart.

Personally I think some of these sites that register multiples of search engines have an ulterior motive--to get your email addy. Every time I have used them in the past I start getting spam mail.

Yahoo will not accept anything but non-commercial sites unless you pay and other sites are doing the same. However if you can get listed on Google then Yahoo will list your site using Google.

I try to get my web sites in tip top condition and then I go for ODP (Open Directory Project). They review your site personally and if they accept your site you are in the door--because then AOL, Netscape, Hotbot, Lycos and a plethora of other engines will eventually pick up your site. If they don't accept your site then there may be something wrong with it. Check their guidelines and make sure it validates.

Web sites with free listings are getting harder and harder to find--because the better ones are getting bought out by the larger engines. What I do is search for smaller, newer engines and list my sites on those engines and hope they get bought by the larger engines that charge a fee and then I have just gotten in their back door.

I have a list of engines where registration is free on my web site:
http://www.loriswebs.com/links.html

take care
Lori Eldridge
Lori's Web Design
http://www.loriswebs.com
Specializing in Search Engine Optimization and Registration