Re: SSI

by Lori Eldridge <lorrie652(at)icehouse.net>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:54:57 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Darrell,

Sorry I'm so late in responding but I'm on the digest and it's only
coming out every other month or so.

I use SSI's all the time.  I just wanted to say to anyone using PHP
or ASP in place of SSIs it seems to me it may deter your ranking in
search engines if you use PHP or ASP becauce they can't read a url
with "?" in them and therefore they will not follow the links to
other pages on your site that are contained in the menu or footer.
Anyone know if this is true or not?

Please respond offline as I'm on the digest.

take care
Lori

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:21:53 -0400
From: "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>
Subject: Re: SSI

"Sub-standard" seem awfully harsh.  It is true that SSI doesn't allow for as
much flexibility as languages like PHP or ASP, but they are quite adequate
for the purposes they serve.

PHP includes are as easy to use as SSI and the PHP language allows for more
functionality, so perhaps he was thinking along those lines.

<?php require_once "menu.php" ?>

http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.require-once.php