Re: html e-mail

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:21:29 EST
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Folks:

It was written:

>However, watch out for this terrible and often besmirched thing, as many
>"feature challenged" web clients, such as AOL, (and some others), do not
>render such pages correctly.

I admit to not following this thread too closely - so please forgive me if
I'm repeating someone else's info...

There are far greater threats out there other than feature challenged clients
or people like me who resent HTML email -

A new form of privacy abuse retrieves information about you from HTML email
messages with an invisible embedded graphic.  This graphic helps identify
cookies that are presently on your system which also then links you to other
databases that can include personal data such as social security number.

You can read about this at:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/99/12/27/991227oplivingston.xml

Additionally, a new virus threat is presented wihtout even viewing an
attachment - Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express can run harmful code when
it automatically opens a browser window in your HTML email message.  This
runs what is known as an ASX - Active Stream Redirector - file.

You can read more about this at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS00-090.asp

HTML email is just a bad idea......

- Jeff K.