Re: mathematical expressions and markup

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:18:48 EDT
 To:  eandscon(at)javanet.com,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Jennifer:

You wrote:

> For now, however, I am wondering if there is a
>  better way of writing mathematical expressions or, should I just leave them
>  as gifs and ad title and alt tags to each image tag?

As a beginning student of HTML - the question intrigued me enough to visit
some math related sites on the net.  (Ironically, the web was originally
created as a method of sharing research rather than turning it into a
shopping mall. :-) )

Many of the sites presented their formulae as gifs, although some went
through the painstaking effort of writing HTML for "simple" calculations
involving superior and inferior numbers, etc. (no special symbols).

I'm curious - if you're using a familiar word processor to do this,
converting them into gifs, and placing them into your pages, why do you want
to change the process? Is this too cumbersome?  Seems to be a simple and
commonly used solution...

- Jeff Kopito