Re: spelling and grammar

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:08:00 EDT
 To:  kstets(at)excite.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Kellene:

You wrote:

>I am a technical communicator by profession, and HTML is a tool I use in
>my
>writing. Bearing that in mind, there are a couple of things that don't
>appear to get done on most websites. The first is that most websites don't
>have a style sheet - and I'm not talking about a CSS. To a tech writer

A very important point and should be understood by this list or any
designer/technician/programmer producing web sites.  Having come from a
publishing background, and with a wife who still works in book publishing as
an editor, a style sheet always followed the job.  This created a structure
for consistency in language and nomenclature - and also for the general
appearance of the final product.

I think what has happened is that the field of web design is currently
dominated by technicians and computer graphics professionals - the editors,
and their functions, have been left far behind for any number of reasons.
Unfortunately, that is happening in the print world now as well....

I've read and listened to some lectures on "project management" when it comes
to web site.  Not once was the ediotrial function discussed.  I don't think
it would harm this industry at all if it turned to the publishing industry
for some advice - and stopped focusing purely on the marketing end.

Just my thoughts....

- Jeff Kopito