Re: Table Spacing

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:15:58 EST
 To:  JRouge(at)jlc.net,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi John:

You wrote:

> I have a table spacing problem.
>
>  I have a two column table that is an itinerary for a tour group.  In the
>  first column is the "Day" and the second column is the corresponding
>  events.  The day and events line up great in Internet Explorer, however,
>  it's off one line in Netscape Navigator.
>  If I correct it for NN, then it's off one line in IE.
>  Any suggestions?

The two columns are not the problem - what you've done is you've placed all
of your "Days" in one column/one cell separated by breaks down the page.
Then you moved over a cell, and placed all of your descriptive info also
separated by breaks all the way down the page.

Pretty hard to control the lineup that way. Also, what happens if you try to
correct any descriptions?  You have to count down the column to the proper
copy, hope you've got the right one as it applies to the right date, and then
make your correction.

Try this:

Each "Day" and each description should be in its own two cell row:

<.tr>
<.td> Day 1 <./td>  <.td> Fly from Boston to Paris<./td>
</.tr>

<.tr>
<.td> Day 2 <./td>  <.td>Arrival in Paris.....<./td>
<./tr>

And so on and so forth. Align all your <.td> data to the top so everything
sits even.

Your copy will line up and your code will also be easier to decipher. Can
also act as a template for later itineraries.

Make sure also that you set your cellspacing to "0" - you already have
cellpadding - and it wouldn't hurt to include margin commands in your body
tag. Set borders to "0" while yer at it....

Waddya think?  :-)

- Jeff K.