Re: adding site to search engines

by Helen Banks <neshaver(at)gn.apc.org>

 Date:  Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:12:56 +0000
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello everyone

jim wrote:

> Some spider and index only the first page. So there should be a
> comment/sentence and/or link in the opening screen to every
> aspect/feature/topic in the site.

I recently built a site that is bilingual (Cornish/English).  The opening
page simply shows the logo and has a brief introduction in both languages,
together with a link to each version of the site, so that visitors can
choose which language they want to read.  (There is also a link on each
page within the site to its corresponding page in the other language.)  To
add links pointing to each section of both sites would, I fear, make the
opening page cumbersome.  (To be on the safe side, I put meta tags for
content and keywords in the header of each page on the site, tailored to
the content of the individual pages, and in the appropriate language,
because I didn't know if that was necessary or not.)

Is there a way to get the "single page" spiders to ignore that first page?
And if I do that, where will they look for their one and only page to index?

Thank you

Helen in damp, dark Cornwall, UK