Re: validating &153; (TM)

by Timothy Luoma <luomat(at)operamail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:25:59 -0500
 To:  Keith D Sellars <Keith(at)webgraffix.com>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:22:45 -0500, Keith D Sellars <Keith(at)webgraffix.com>
wrote:

> Yours is the most complete listing I've been able to see
> since I've been looking.  The W3C site has a list of character entity
> sets (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/latin1.html), but it doesn't really
> appear to be a complete list of everything that is available, unless
> those are the only ones actually accepted.
>
> In any case, thanks.

You're welcome.

I compiled that list from several sources after being completely annoyed at
the lack of a comprehensive (or at least really extensive) listing in an
easy-reference format.

W3C was the major source material, yes.

Oh, and if you think code references are hard to come by, try getting an
official list of the colors (hex/rgb).  I made a listing at

http://tntluoma.com/sidebars/triplecolors/

based on

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/

which refers to [X11COLORS] Robert B. Hess. Colors By Name. MSDN Online Web
Workshop. 02 November 1996. URL:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/design/color/x11_names.asp--BUT don't
try to follow that URL because it's 404 (Microsoft just loves to move stuff
around all the time.  The new URL is

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwebgen/html/X11_names.asp

but when you go there notice that it says:

"The table below provides a list of the X11 colors supported by Microsoft
Internet Explorer 3.0 and Netscape Navigator." (This is from November 22,
1996).

So nowhere does it really give you as good of a list as I'd like.  I know
there are many more supported colors than are shown on the triplecolors
page, but I don't know what they all are, and since there is no official
list, how could we say if a browser was ever wrong?

Argh

TjL

--
Timothy J. Luoma ~ http://tntluoma.com