RE: .edu Domain Registration

by "Colleen Noon" <CNOON(at)state.wy.us>

 Date:  Thu, 03 May 2001 13:28:39 -0600
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks Dennis.  I sort of confused me as several of our community colleges =
around the state have .edu in their domain. =20

>>> Dennis Lapcewich <dlapcewich(at)intira.com> 05/03/01 01:15PM >>>
Further checking ...

Some community colleges are "grandfathered" because they acquired an .edu
domain before the rules took effect. =20

The current policy is, "U.S., four-year degree-granting institutions
accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education are eligible to apply for a .edu domain name under
the present rules."  Source
http://www.educause.edu/asp/faq/faq.asp?code=3Dedudomain#faq5=20

The policy does not allow for K-12 schools to have .edu domains.  Are =
there
any existing now?

There is a proposal to grant .edu domain status for community colleges.
However, like any good bureaucratic body, it may be a long time in coming,
especially if ICANN has a say in the matter.  I suspect it would take a
while since there are also proposals to take back the .org domains for =
just
bonafide non-profit organizations and .net domains for just Internet =
network
organizations.

Dennis