Re: Registering Domain Name

by Lori Eldridge <lorel(at)on-ramp.ior.com>

 Date:  Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:55:54 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Susan,

>I would like to register and purchase my first domain name.  Please provide
>me with input in terms of who you used and why.  I'm not good at
>interpreting legal contracts nor do I have the resources.  I would like to
>buy a name and own the complete rights to the url address.  I would prefer
>that the company I register it with not own part or all of the name.
>
>Any input would be appreciated since this is new to me.

I have registered two separate businesses with their domain names (one
wanted two names). From what I understand the ads you see saying "we'll
register you for free" are no big deal because what they are really saying
is "we'll type in the information on the form for you and push the enter
button." You still get charged the $70 registration fee (unless they are
footing part of the bill for some reason). Takes about one minute to fill
out the form (after you have searched for your name, which takes about 30
seconds). You can do this yourself, and I think you should because the less
third parties who have access to your credit card numbers the better.

I have registered both parties through WestHost.net  because their rates
are cheaper than most (I live in WA state) and they offer similiar services
as the more expensive hosting sites.

The registration for a new name takes about 1-3 days. However, transferring
an old name can take up to a week. WestHost allowed us to upload to their
site even though the name wasn't ready--just not available to the public
till the name was ready.

I hope that helps.

Lori