Re: Mac vs. PC

by Lori Eldridge <lorel(at)on-ramp.ior.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:48:52 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Rowan,

>I have always thought that one could use HTML & ASP (& other Website design
>tools) equally well on a Mac or PC.  Personally, I use a Mac at home & a PC
>at work.  But I am a total newbie to Web design & someone who wants to
>purchase a computer to learn Web design has asked me: Can I do it equally
>well on either platform?
>
>So, I thought I would ask the advice of more experienced Web programmers.
>
>He wants to get a Mac, BTW, so the question could be rephrased as: are there
>any problems w/doing ASP & HTML, etc. on a Mac?

I've been using a Mac for the last few years and I have experienced very
few problems. However you have to watch out for the colors you choose as
they appear darker on a PC. Also I have found that sometimes I get email
from a PC user (Outlook Express) and when trying to incorporate it into
HTML it will have hidden characters in it that prevent the rest of the text
from showing up online (looks ok on my computer until I try to view it in a
Browser). They are not line breaks because they occur about every other
sentence. I don't know what is causing this.  I finally had to retype the
whole text to eliminate the blockages. That is about all I can think of
except I have an older Mac and I'm having serious problems navigating some
websites that were obviously not designed for older Macs--gonna have to buy
a new computer ---and it isn't going to be a PC either ;o)

I also use a PC at work. I don't like the Window's filing system--much
easier to manipulate files on a Mac.

Lori
Dyed-in-the-wool Mac-a-holic

HTML Guild: hwg-basics mailing list archives, maintained by Web Developer Association - IWA