calculating distance based on zip/postal codes]

by "Bob Masters" <admin(at)BobMasters.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 May 2000 03:26:56 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Now that we've reviewed the scientific methods of calculating distances over
the surface of this sphere of us perhaps the original question is more
concerned with a simple approach for about $25 US.

DeLorme (www.delorme.com) has been selling an excellent CD-ROM (since about
1991) that we have used to do exactly what the original question stated. In
fact it does so much more. They market several versions (including one which
works with a small GPS received hooked up to the serial port of your
notebook) but the best (for the stated purpose) is probably the one they
make for AAA (sells for $25 US).

Our favorite is an older version (no longer sold but you can probably find
one via the World-Wide Web) labeled DeLorme Map Expert, Version 2.0 (for
Windows only). It was produced in 1993-4. It allows you to click on two or
more points and automatically sums the distances. It has been sufficiently
accurate for our uses (heck, the odometers of the modern computerized
automobile come up with many different totals for the same distance
traveled). We just hope we don't wear it out.

You can fone the company at 207-865-1234.  Their website may have a
toll-free number. Their e-mail address is: info(at)delorme.com.

(Wish I had stock in their company - we have certainly recommended their
stuff to enough people.

You want a SIMPLY, painless solution? Here it is.

Zzyvko Marjanovitch
webmaster(at)CarolinaNow.com et al