RE: You must be hard up for clients....

by "Jason Brett" <jbbrett(at)zigzagnet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:36:49 -0400
 To:  "Rachel Hartman" <rhartman(at)io.com>,
"Majordomo(at)mail.hwg.org" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rachel,

Uh huh. I feel your pain. I've had similar experiences as well, and the only
thing you can really do is what you have done. If you get yourself into a
flame war with this unknown, you could make yourself look bad.

But I'll go you one better, and this is very pertinent to this list. I
sometimes use Interland for hosting services, because they are a local
company to me and their prices are reasonably fair, though a little on the
high side when they start telling you about the hidden charges. However, on
two occasions (that I am aware of, and I only have 4 sites hosted with
them), THEY have contacted MY clients offering web design services, within a
day after I set up the clients new email addresses!

But when it comes down to it, there's always going to be somebody trying to
take away our business. And really, I'm okay with that. If my customers are
happy with me, then they'll stay. I educate them on the front end to
pricing, so price is rarely a concern. But if my quality is lacking, then
someone is going to come along and do a better job for them. It's
competition. It's Capitalism. It's the Free Market. And it keeps me on my
toes!

Furthermore, if I have an idea for an existing website that will improve the
site, or if there is a customer I want, I'll go after them, regardless of
whether they already have a developer. There is always the chance that they
are unhappy, or that they'll like my ideas better. But you can be assured
I'll use my real name and my real email address, which I'll give them over
the phone when I call them! (No Spam Here!)

You might consider a strategy to further solidify your relationships with
your own clients, however. Give them all an unexpected phone call. Tell them
you are just calling to check and make sure everything is okay. Ask if there
are any small changes they'd like made to their sites. Within reason, take
their requests and do as much of it for FREE as you can. It shows you care
about their satisfaction. And that makes it very hard for them to even give
a second thought to an unsolicited proposal from a competitor, or even a
sales call on the telephone!

Regards,

Jason Brett
ZigZag Internet Solutions